Twitter Usage In America: 2010 Statistics and Ad Agency New Business
Twitter is one of the social media tools that can be used as tool for your agency's social media marketing strategy to generate online traffic and a pipeline for new business leads. Over the past 3 years the leading traffic generator to my blog has been Twitter.
Twitter Usage In America: 2010 is a new report derived from the Edison Research/Arbitron Internet and Multimedia Series. This report is derived from three years of tracking data on Twitter usage in the United States. It is filled with rich information that can help guide the use of Twitter for your agency and its clients.
Twitter is more of a broadcast channel than many realize. The majority of users never post anything … but they are definitely reading and clicking.
Here are some highlights from this comprehensive study and its untapped potential for marketing, advertising and your agency's new business:
- Awareness of Twitter has exploded over the past twelve months. The percentage of Americans who are familiar with Twitter has surged from 5% in 2008 to 87% in 2010. Twitter is a natural “companion medium” to other media channels — in particular, as an accompaniment to live TV.
- Despite equal awareness, Twitter trails Facebook significantly in usage: 7% of Americans (17 million persons) actively use Twitter, while 41% maintain a profile page on Facebook.
- Nearly two-thirds of active Twitter users access social networking sites using a mobile phone.
- Twitter Users Split Between Habitual “Tweeters” and Those Who Access Occasionally. The majority of Twitter users are “lurkers,” passively following and reading the updates of others without contributing updates of their own but they are listening, reading and clicking.
- Twitter users are far more likely to follow Brands/ Companies than social networkers in general. Twitter users frequently exchange information about products and services.
- 51% of active Twitter users follow companies, brands or products on social networks.
- Most (70%) regular Twitter users do post status updates to some social networking service (likely Facebook. Twitter appears to be functioning as more of a broadcast medium compared to Facebook and many other social networking sites and services.
- Marketing and Business use cases for Twitter far exceed similar usage for social networking Web sites in general.
The full 49-page study, full of interesting graphs and data is available for download: Twitter Usage in America: 2010 — Complete Report
Here are 20+ additional Twitter articles, specifically for ad agencies that can help you take advantage of Twitter's growth for new business:
- To Get the Most Out of Twitter Be a Maverick
- How to take advantage of Twitter's growth for ad agency new business
- 10 Twitter Mistakes Made By Ad Agencies for New Business
- A Great Ad Agency New Business Tool to Optimize Twitter
- How to Generate Traffic to Your Ad Agency's Blog with Repeat Tweets
- Twitter 101 for Ad Agency New Business
- Ad Agencies: Useful In-Depth Data on How Twitter is Being Used
- Study: Fortune 100 companies using Twitter more than any other social media platform
- A Simple Twitter Formula for Ad Agency New Business
- Ad Agencies: 5 Ways to Find Prospects on Twitter
- 5 Ways I Use Twitter to Help Ad Agency New Business
- Edward Boches, CCO for the Mullen Agency: What Twitter Can Do For You
- Ad Agency CEOs Should Use Twitter
- Twitter Traffic Explosion Being Led By 45-54 Year Olds
- 3 Ways Twitter Can Make You A Better Writer
- Tweetlater A Great Ad Agency New Business Tool
- Ad Agencies: Top 10 Articles for Twitter Search
- A Twitter Business Model Contest is Won by an Ad Agency
- Socially Benefitting from My Twitter Habits
- Today's Top 10 Twitter Post for Ad Agency New Business
- List of C Suite Executives Using Twitter
- Top 5 Twitter Tools for Ad Agency New Business
- Promoting Your Ad Agency Using Twitter?
- Twitter List: 500+ Advertising Agencies on Twitter