Online GOTV Resources: Time to Get Out The Vote
Hard to believe, but election day is less than a week away, and across the country, campaigns and outside groups are running a full-on GOTV blitz. Let’s give ‘em some help — below is a short list of useful online resources for getting out the vote, from templates for field canvassing plans to mobile apps for voter protection. You can’t use the internet to bus people to the polls, but you CAN use digital tools to get people to the bus on time.
BTW, the e.politics email inbox is burdened these days with vendors hawking robocalls, text messages and other last-minute money-sinks; do any of these actually work? I’m also going to be curious to see the results of late-cycle, tightly targeted online ads for persuasion and GOTV, which are running here and there. Hopefully we’ll get some good case studies after the election — I’m happy to run ‘em here.
- Centralized, state-by-state online polling place location, early voting rules, voting requirements (such as ID), and more from the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights. A useful hub to point people to.
- Terrific tactical resources from the New Organizing Institute, including GOTV Resources & Templates in their Get Out The Vote Resource Center. Plus, their Daily Tips are great, short articles on particular field organizing tools, tactics and practices. Relevant recent fave? Use online social pressure for GOTV.
- Mobile Apps to Help You Through the November Election, from election protection to ad tracking. C.f. Kate Kamber’s recent Epolitics.com piece, Cell Phones for GOTV: Voter Mobilization Methods on Election Day.
- Tutorial: Organizing your GOTV data and outreach with NationBuilder. Some lessons broadly applicable.
- Nerdcore: Drupal module for ballots, early voting info, polling-place location.
Got more? Leave them as comments below and I’ll them to the list.
Social Media Today