Advice for First-Time Content Marketers
Content marketing can be a great strategy to increase website traffic and raise brand awareness across the internet. While it is still a budding industry, there are key ideas to keep in mind in order to be successful. Lauren Carlson of CRMSoftware.TV recently sat down with marketing expert Joe Chernov to discuss the “sampler platter” of skills needed to thrive in the relatively new field of web content marketing. He emphasized five points:
1. Be creative and understand good design. You don’t have to be a designer, but it helps if you can recognize both good and bad design. The way content looks can often shape how people perceive the information.
2. Be a decent writer. Two main points: avoid buzzwords and use narrative, not coercion. The skill in writing comes from being able to tell a story well and writing in a tone and voice that resonates with the reader.
3. Have good business judgment. Pay really close attention to what your personal brand is saying. If you google your name, your personal brand should demonstrate business judgment before a hiring manager even looks at your resume.
4. Be brief. Writing should be concise and to the point.
5. Be social media savvy: “Participating in social media doesn’t necessarily correlate to competency in social media.” Study brands you like and brands that are successful to see how they do it. Being familiar with social media is a great start, but as content marketers should know all steps.
CRMSoftware.TV is a free online resource for all things CRM. The site has videos, product reviews, software demos, and more. Check out the original interview with Joe Chernov interview below:
It’s a free online video resource for all things CRM. Think of it as Hulu for CRM software. On the site, you can find a variety of videos including product reviews, best practices videos, software demos, and more.
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Other Posts by Jennifer G. Hanford
Social Media Today