The Most Complete Twitter Application List Available - 2011 Edition
I believe this is the best, most complete and accurate list of valuable Twitter applications available on the internet right now.
To be fair, I absolutely have merged and plagiarized other older and outdated lists that I found (the larger ones are credited below). However, I spent a good deal of time to clean out the dead applications, delete the apps that were overly quirky or being developed, focus more on the apps that increase productivity, and add in many of the new great apps that have come out over the past six months - particularly in the productivity / business apps section where my primary interest lies. I have also tagged the tools that cost money / have a premium option ($) as well as if they have a valuable free option (F/$).
Finally, while application selection can be a personal thing, I tagged my favorite app (*) in each category.
I will try and update this list over time, but you can be assured that as of May, 2011, every site on this list has been tested and is up and running (or tagged as being in beta/alpha). I don't guarantee that the apps all work, but the sites were definitely up and running. Please e-mail me or add a comment with any new apps or corrections you find that you'd like me to add.
Simple Web Based Clients and Twitter Viewing Tools
- Twitter.com (*): Can't go wrong with this -- web, iPhone, etc.
- Twalala: On-line browser beta Twitter tool that allows you to filter out / mute tweets you wish to ignore.
- Hahlo: Another good web based and iPhone optimized site where you can view tweets and tweet.
- iTweet: Similar to Hahlo - auto updates.
- TwitStat: Mobile web client (supposedly has analytics, but I didn't see it)
- Dabr.co.uk : Another mobile web client
- Splitweet: allows multi account Twitter management.
- Twimbow: In alpha, but seems like an interesting web based browser if you can get an account.
- TweetVisor: Interesting new activity based web twitter client
- Twazzup Reader: Good web based Twitter Client
- Accessible Twitter: Twitter UI optimized for disabled users and intended to be easier to read.
- Qwitter Client: Accessible Twitter client designed for access by the blind via a user's screen reader.
Directory And Top User Search Tools
- Just Tweet It: A twitter directory sorted by interest
- Twitaholic: Similar to WeFollow - Lists top 1000 Twitter Users by followers.
- FameCount: Active users on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube
- Twitrank: List of top 150 Twitter Users By Followers, People They're Following, and updates
- Twellow (*): The Twitter Yellow Pages -- Find people by area of expertise.
- We Follow: Find celebrities and follow-up people and key areas of expertise.
- Tweetfind: Twitter Directory with Social Listings, Twitter Lists & Tools
- TwitterPacks : Answers the question: If someone were joining Twitter today, who might they follow?
- Start4all: Directory of Twitter related web pages
- FollowerWonk: Search Twitter Profiles By Keywords / Sentences. Can compare two users as well for overlap
- Twiends: Tool to grow your Twitter / Facebook / YouTube following by trading likes.
- Fan Page List: Social media directory of Twitter & Facebook Brands / Celebrities / etc.
- Increasr: Very similar to Twiends, a Twitter follower tool
- FollowFriday.com: Ranking of the most recommended Tweeps
- FriendLynx: Find Your Facebook Friends On Twitter
- FilterTweeps: Advanced Tweeps Search Engine
- Resonances: Influential Tweeps Directory
- Local Follow: Tweeps Search Engine
Track The Latest Trends and Tags
- Hashtags (uses Trendistic data): Shows graphical 7 day trend on keywords and names of people that used that keyword.
- Serendipitwiterrous: Search for tweets of a certain person using certain keywords
- Trendistic (*): See trends in Twitter - trending tags, 24 hour, 7/30/90/180 day graphs
- Twitscoop: See key trends and events on Twitter -- post Tweets in response.
- TwitLinks: The latest links from the worlds top tech twitter users.
- Tweet Scan: Show top and search keywords.
- Tweetmeme (*): Good site to see the latest and hottest stories / images.
- Twemes: Worldwide tags & Trends (Twemes)
- Monitter: Twitter monitor which watches up to 3 keywords in separate columns in real time.
- Twistori: Quirky live stream of Tweets showing loves, hates, believes, wishes, etc.
- Twitturls: Find out the latest URLs posted on Twitter
- Twitturly: Similar to Tweetmeme - latest and hottest stories / images.
- Twendz: Explores Twitter Conversations and Sentiment
- Topsy: Real Time Search For Twitter
- Sulia: The Interest Network - See top headlines.
- Favstar: Favorite funny tweets
- Twazzup: Realtime search results from Twitter
- hashMASH: Finds and sorts similar hashtags based upon activity
- SearchHash: Download range of tweets based upon hashtag
- Hashtagify.me: Explore Twitter Hashtags and their relationships
Segmentation and List Grouping Tools
- Formulists (*): An excellent app that will help built personal lists for you based upon certain criteria / keywords.
- Group Tweet: Tweet with only a particular group of people
- Crowd Status: Create and find out the status of a certain group of people on Twitter
- Twitter Groups: Tag your followers into different groups. Send a message to the entire group at once.
- Triberr: Interesting site that will retweet everything in the groups you join.
- bit.ly (*): The King URL shortener - many twitter apps use bit.ly directly or can leverage their bookmarklets
- Ping.fm (*): Extremely valuable service that lets you publish your updates to many social networks at one time.
- Visibli: Nice engagement bar that shows your brand above links you share. Also has analytics.
- Tweet Burner: Track the links that you post on Twitter - URL Shortner
- Twitter Split: Interesting script / tool you can install to allow you to track links in tweets you post.
- TrueTwit (F/$): A Twitter validation tool that helps automate some key services. Free and paid services are useful.
- Twit Longer: Allows you to send longer Tweets
- Twitter Keys: Blog Post & Bookmarklet with little icons & images you can add into your tweets.
- Mokumax: Nice free app to schedule branded tweets
- TwimeMachine: Way to see all your past Tweets
- Follow Friday Helper (*): Let's you easily build thank you & other messages to people who mention, RT, etc. you.
Integrate Twitter with Files, Images and Videos
- Twitpic (*): Share photos
- Twitvid (*): Share photos and videos
- Autopostr: Update your Twitter when you post a Flickr picture - In Beta, no invites available.
- Twixr: Share pictures on Twitter via your mobile phone
- Twixxer: Share photos and videos on Twitter
- MobyPictures: Share your images across multiple sites including Twitter
Twitter Background Sites
- Twilk ($) (*): Cool site that Create a background image of all your followers / who you follow. Paid takes out advertising
- Twitrounds: Another Free Twitter Background Tool
- Twitbacks: Create free twitter backgrounds.
- Free Twitter Designer : Free Tool To Design a Twitter Background
- Twitter Images: More free images
- Twitter Backgrounds.org: MORE free images
- Twit Background Images.com: MORE
- Twitr Backgrounds: and more.
- Twitpaper: More.
- Free Twitter Layout: oh, and more
- Tweativity: Windows based app for Twitter backgrounds.
Summarized Reports / Digests Of Social Activity
- Gist (*): A great app that tracks activity and tweets for your contacts across all social platforms. Integration with Outlook, iPhone, Android, and more. Definitely worth a look.
- Nutshell Mail: Delivers a nice daily e-mail report of your Twitter, Facebook, and Social Media Activity.
- Twilert (*): A good free app that will provide a daily digest of tweets via e-mail of search terms & people
- Tweet Beep ($): Keep track of conversations that mention you, your products, your company, anything, with hourly updates via keyword tracking.
- Stream Spigot: Creates a digest of tweets for a person or list delivered via RSS or a web page you can visit daily.
- Social Oomph (*): This is also listed below as a paid app, but the free version gives you a nice daily summary of Twitter Activity by keyword / user.
- ChiliTweets ($): Finds "hot" links and tweets and aggregates them for you
Cool Ways To See Your Tweets And Followers
- TwitterFountain (*): Very cool way to view tweets by person/ keyword in real time on big screen (trade shows & events).
- TwitterCamp Nice way to view tweets on a big screen or monitor
- Twit100: Provides a unique view of the last 100 tweets from your followers.
- TwitArcs: Interesting visualization tool to see how a user's tweets are connected
- Twitter Spectrum: Visualization tool that shows how two keywords are connected via Twitter keywords.
- TwitterBrowser: Lets you browse ones friends graphically.
- Twitterfall: An interesting real time browser of Twitter activity by keyword / user / etc.
- Twylah: An on-lin Flipboard type view of your Tweets. In Request only Beta - Here is mine.
- MentionMap: Very interesting "mindmap" type view of mentions by username.
Follower / Unfollower Tools
- Does Follow: Simple tool to see if one person follows another person.
- Manage Flitter ($): Clean up and manage your followers. Also has some analytic stuff.
- Tweeter Karma: See who you are following that is not following you and visa versa. Can mass follow those you don't follow.
- Qwitter ($): Get a daily report showing unfollowers. (I could not get this to deliver info to me)
- Twerp Scan: Interesting way to drill down into who you or your followers are following.
- Twitspam: Track and Report Twitter / Social Network spammers
- Is Now Following: Tracks when you add new followers and tweets it
- Fllwrs: Keep track of your followers / Unfollowers
- Twitoria: Shows activity of the people you're following to stop if they haven't tweeted in a while.
- FollowCost: What's it "cost" to follow someone (how frequently do they update / tweet)?
- Just Unfollow: Unfollow those that are not following you.
- IsFollow: Find out who is following who by entering in two usernames.
- Tweet Find Tools: Good free tool to unfollow people that don't follow you. Also has tweet scheduler
- Friend or Follow: Another app to see who doesn't follow you and visa versa.
- Tweepi: Another list cleanser
- Who Unfollowed Me: Find out who unfollowed you.
Twitter Account Analysis tools
- TwentyFeet (F/$) (*): Excellent summary of stats across multiple sites. First Twitter & Facebook account are free.
- Klout (*): An excellent app to track and rate your social media activities (Facebook & Twitter, LinkedIn to follow).
- Empire Avenue: Similar to Klout - only more complicated with a "virtual investment game" built in.
- Crowd Booster: Another good analytic tool
- Peer Index: Another good analytic tool
- My Tweeple ($): Twitter Account Evaluation Tool. Follower counts, ratios, tweet counts. Review Recent Tweets (See what your followers are saying), Follow-back, hide or block new followers. Create Tags, Notes, and Share. Good tool to export your entire follower list to a csv file.
- Twitter Counter: Good Twitter Analytics / Comparison & Statistic Tool. Also has some good blog scripts and Twitter Tools
- Twitter Grader: Analyses your Twitter account on a 0-100 score. Computed based on how complete your profile is as well as the number and influence of your followers. Also shows top users in categories. Good basic stats.
- Tweet Stats: Graphical representation of your Twitter activity including time of day posting, interface used, etc.
- Tweeple Twak (in alpha): Supposedly track your friend gains and declines. Site is up, but can't see what it does.
- Twit Graph: Similar to TweetStats, but weaker and has more advertising
- Twoolr: Another Twitter Analytic Tool
- Twitter Ratio: Find out your friend to follower ratio.
- Retweet Rank: Provides a ranking on the number of Retweets You Have
- See Tweeb and SocialDash Under the iPhone Apps section for a few good iPhone Apps that provide statistics
- The Social List: Ranking Tool to compare yourself to others via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and 4sq
- SocialBro: A very interesting new desktop app to look at Twitter Statistics - in Beta, but very cool.
Business Social / Twitter Suites & Tools
- MessageMaker ($$) (**): A shameless plug for my company's (One To One Global) product that is designed for organizations and companies to deliver messages to tens, hundreds, or thousands of social endpoints (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) and then provide amazing aggregated reporting. Fantastic for companies with multiple brands, franchises, and organizations looking to leverage their sales team's or employees. Contact me if you're interested in learning more.
- Pluggio ($) (**): One of my favorite personal apps to help find valuable content, schedule tweets, and get reports on your activity. Free version is ok, paid version is justified.
- Tweet Adder ($) (**): PC & Mac tool to help build a targeted list of followers and un-follow those those that don't follow you back. Sends thank you messages to new followers. On my must have list.
- NEW: Tweet Attack ($) (*) : Similar to Tweet Adder, but seems like it brings some new things to the table. I included a discount link I found.
- Tweet Whistle ($): Similar to Tweet Adder as well. Mac and PC version to build your followers.
- Twittenator ($): Similar to Tweet Adder. Seems solid, I've just become used to the other.
- Sprout Social (F/$) (*): Easy to use dashboard to manage your social efforts with attractive analytics.
- Social Oomph ($$) (*): A complete Twitter Automation and Analytic Tool. Free version also very valuable for keyword analysis reports, follow backs, and reporting.
- Timely: An interesting app that analyzes and schedules Tweets based upon the best time to deliver them
- Tweetag: Browse tweets via tags and receive e-mail notifications.
- Tap11 ($): Real-Time Intelligence and Engagement Platform for Twitter & Facebook
- Twaitter ($): Social Media Suite handling scheduling of tweets, statistics, other info.
- Twollo ($): Targeted follower building tool based on keywords with auto-follow
- BufferApp ($): Similar to Pluggio in that you can build a targeted list of tweets that it will intelligently deliver over the course of the day.
- Radian6 ($$): Very valuable monitoring and Analytic Tool
- TweetBig ($): Another good suite with auto follow-back, tweet scheduling, analytics, and other stuff.
- CoTweet (F/$): Tool to help empower teams to monitor and engage with customers across multiple accounts
- Mutual Mind.com ($): An enterprise level social media management platform
- TweetSpinner (F/$): Manages followers, rotates profiles, archives and schedules tweets.
- TweetBot / Tweet Scope: Similar to Tweet Adder - with auto unfollow and DM capabilities.
Twitter Integration With Your Site or Blog
- Feed Tweeter: integrate Twitter with Plurk, your blog and delicious
- Follow Me On Twitter Buttons: Follow me on twitter buttons
- Loudtwitter: Ships your tweets to your blog.
- PingTwitter: Automatically update your Twitter Account when you publish a new blog pos
- Siah Design: Free Twitter buttons and animated GIFs you can use.
- Stammy's RSS To Twitter: Not too many people have access to a Ruby-enabled server so the author decided to make a simple PHP script to get the job done.
- Twignature: A decent translated Japanese app to take your username and create a usable Twitter signature for websites & e-mail.
- Twit This: Add this option so people can easily tweet information from your site or blog
- Twitter Tools: A wordpress plugin that lets you integrate Twitter with your blog. You can send your updates to your blog as well as create tweets directly from your blog
- Twitter for Wordpress: Script displays latest tweets on your blog
- Twitterfeed: Post your blog to Twitter through your RSS feed
- Twitter Updater: Automatically sends a Twitter status update to your Twitter account when you create, publish, or edit your WordPress post
- Twitter Wordpress Sidebar Widget: A wordpress widget where you can send your tweets to your blog
- TwitGIF: A translated Japanese app that creates an animated GIF from your latest Tweets.
- Chirrup: PHP Script that allows you to collect Twitter comments for your site.
- Dlvr.it: Deliver Your Blog To Twitter, Facebook, and More
- DiggDigg: One of many Wordpress plugins that integrate social sites.
Twitter As An Organizer
Polls and Surveys on Twitter
- Lazy Tweet: Find answers to your questions by posting "@lazyweb" or "@lazytweet"
- Twitter Answers: Another question site with a nice layout so you can easily get answers to your questions.
- Twitter Polldaddy ($): A complete poll and survey site that also offers Twitter Options.
- Twittpoll: Join some twitter polls and receive the results in 24 hours
Twitter Advertising Networks
Twitter and Music
Twitter Backup Utilities
Adobe Air Clients and Multi-Platform Clients
- TweetDeck (*) : One of the best out there, free and definitely worth a look
- TweetPad visualizes statistics on the source of the incoming messages.
- Destroy Twitter
Twitter Tools For Mac
There are a million of these, so I'll just list a few of the ones I use in addition to TweetDeck, Twitter, and Echofon that were mentioned elsewhere. Open the Apple App Store and search for Twitter to find many more.
- Twitterrific: ($) Paid Mac Client.
- YoruFukurou: A good free app with multi-account support.
- Socialite ($): Very powerful, not cheap ($19.99), but solid app that I got with a bundle one time.
- Twidget: A mac dashboard widget.
- Twittereeze is an extension to Twitterific. It allows you to set your iChat, Skype, Adium status to your twitter status.
Twitter Firefox & Other Plugins
- TweetStalk: A firefox addon that allows you to follow / stalk people without them knowing it.
- Hootbar (*): Formerlly Twitterbar, powerful way to post messages from address bar
- Twitbin: A Firefox extension that allows you to post and receive tweets via the Sidebin.
- TwitterFox: Sits in the status bar of Firefox. Send updates and keep an eye on your friends.
- Echofon For Firefox (*): Another sidebin extension
- TwitterLine: A Headline Toolbar for Firefox
- Yoono (*): Supports updates to Twitter Facebook LinkedIn YouTube GTalk AIM
- Shareaholic (*): Share webpages with your friends on Twitter. Can be integrated with your Firefox Browser
- iTwitter: iGoogle gadget that have ping.fm, twitter videos, twitter news, twitter tips, twitter tools and more.
There are a million iPhone Twitter Apps, but here are a few of the ones I have and use.
- Tweetlogix ($) (*): My favorite Iphone App - easy to manage multiple accounts, etc.
- Echofon (F/$) (*) : My second favorite
- qTweeter ($) (*): Got to have a jailbroken iPhone, but an awesome app to quickly pull up an app and tweet images, video, location, etc. Available via Cydia.
- Tweetdeck (*): Along with Hootsuite, one of the most popular apps used today.
- Seesmic: Nice app that allows you to easily log on to multiple Twitter, Facebook accounts.
- Hootsuite (*): One of the most popular tools out there.
- Boxcar: Good app that does push notifications for multiple social sites.
- Twittelator (F/$)
- SocialDash (*): One of the only iPhone Apps that provides access to Facebook and Twitter statistics on things like Klout.
- Tweeb: A good iPhone app that provides Twitter account analysis (Tweets, Buzz, Clicks, etc.)
- Ubersocial: Blackberry, iPhone, and beta Desktop App with great promise.
- TweetList: A good Twitter Client (was recommended for disabled users)
- TeeWee: Another decent free iPhone App recommended by a few.
Non-iPhone Mobile Device Twitter Clients
- ceTwit: A windows mobile twitter client.
- JTwitter: A java twitter client for mobile phones.
- Tiny Twitter: A Java twitter client to send and receive tweets for mobile phones and devices.
- Twidroid (*): An application for android mobiles.
- TwitterBerry: Update and receive Tweets from your BlackBerry.
Windows & Misc. Clients
Mobile Phone Applications With Twitter
- Dial2Do ($): Use your voice to tweet as well as send text and do e-mail
- Vlingo ($) (*): iPhone, Android, Nokia, Windows Voice activated app
- Qik (*): Share videos and Tweet (and e-mail) them across MANY phones
- Flix Wagon: Similar to Qik - only for Android.
Integration With E-Mail / Messaging Applications
- Yahoo Messenger Twitter Sync Plugin: Integrate twitter with your Yahoo Messenger
- TikiTwit: Integrate Twitter with iChat
- Twittermail: Part of TwitterCounter - update twitter, send images, and longer tweets via email
- Twinbox: Update Twitter with your Microsoft Outlook
- TwitEmail: Allows twitter users to send HTML emails with attachments
Useless, Funny, & Misc. Twitter Sites
- Secret Tweet: Imagine PostSecret + Twitter. Tweet those secrets
- Curse Bird: Find out who's swearing on Twitter
- Tweet What You Eat: Tweet what you're eating at the moment - track your calories and weight
- Foodfeed: Similar to Tweet What You Eat, but just the tweet info
- Xbox 360 Gamer Tag: Automatically update twitter with what you are playing at a certain moment
- Trackthis: Track your packages via Twitter with this tool
- Bkkeeper: Share what you're reading on Twitter
- Commuter Feed: Share tweets on traffic and transit delays
- Foamee: Fun way to tracks who you owe coffee or beer to
- InnerTwitter: Signals you through chimes where you have to let go of your thoughts.
- Post like a Pirate: Talk like a pirate on twitter
- Roll the dice: Give you the power to roll a dice on twitter. Useful when you're betting or playing games with your friends.
- Xpenser: Track your expenses with twitter
- Twithire: The place where you can tweet job postings
- GasCalc: Tracks your gas usage and MPG on Twitter
- Fuel Frog ($): iPhone App with Twitter integration that also tracks Gas Usage and uses Twitter.
- Deal Tagger: Shop and share on Twitter
- Textgasm: Tweet your secrets
- Twitter Nonsense: Daily Twitter Comic Strip
- Twitterbox: A Twitter Client for Second Life
- Stocktwits: Lets you follow stocks on Twitter.
- Twictionary: A repository for all sorts of words used on Twitter.
- TweetValue: Tells you how much your profile is worth in US dollars.
- MORE TWITTER GAMES: I just found this lens on Squidoo that has a fairly up to date list of additional Twitter Games.
Once again, I credit the following posts for providing some of the information I used here. However, these posts are old, have many dead links and are missing many of the best new apps that are out there.
Credit to the people on this LinkedIn Thread as well:
What are your favorite Twitter tools? | LinkedIn http://linkd.in/jUu6yX
Sales and marketing professional with 20+ years of experience in new business and product development. Proven ability to leverage technology based solutions and services including social media, e-mail, mobile marketing as well as creative agency campaigns and programs.
Always seeking to push value over noise.
Other Posts by Eric Goldstein
A guest says:
Have I been looking for this list for my continuing Twitter adventure... my current favourite app is by a small Australian outfit - it is www.manageflitter.com and it is so good I oay for the pro version. [I am NOT associated with the co - just love it!!]
Pet hate: Word verification that is unreadible to the naked eye - 3 gos so far!!
A guest says:
Wowzer!, Eric. That is an amazing list of resources. Scanned through the list looking to see if TweetEffect was there....did I miss it! Found it to be a very useful tool to see what posts followers like or don't like. Will be sure to RT this list to my tweeps. As a Twitter newbie, I certainly appreciate having all these Twitter tools listed in one place. Thanks for the great information.
Eric Goldstein says:
I actually had TweetEffect on the list initially, but I had a few people tell me that they found it rather useless. I tested it myself with my Twitter Account (ericsgoldstein) and found the info to be very confusing. First, it says that over the past 170 posts, I've only gained 2 followers - impossible. I'm gaining 50-100/day.
Second, the measurements seem to show +9, then -9, then +9, then -9, then +15, then -15.
Even the total followers seems off.
I posted a tweet with some feedback as well and will see if they respond.
Thanks - I'll get the other suggestions up in the next day or so.
A guest says:
Great list Eric! Thanks for putting out an excellent source of research. We don't make every list, but here's a look at your Mentionmapp http://apps.asterisq.com/mentionmap/#user-ericsgoldstein. Stay tuned we working on a new HTML5 version.