Content Marketing: The 6 Secrets to Contagious Content [INFOGRAPHIC]
If you’re creating content, it pays to take the time to develop the most contagious content possible. Creating and publishing large amounts of average or below average content (let’s be honest now…) more resembles a dreaded content farm than a compelling well of resources that brings visitors to your site over and over again. Oh, and by the way, compelling content gets shared a lot – hence the name “contagious content” that Jonah Berger from the Wharton School has been talking a lot about recently.
Jonah Berger is a an associate professor or Marketing at the Wharton School. He’s been doing a lot of research lately on what makes content spread and has recently written the book, Contagious: Why Things Catch On. Through his research, Jonah has boiled the secrets of contagious content down to 6 key drivers (shared below).
The 6 Secrets to Contagious Content:
1) Social Currency - How your peers feel about a particular idea, topic or brand
2) Triggers - Tying your idea or product to common occurances in daily life
3) Emotion - Evoking deep emotional reactions
4) Public - Increasing the visibility and recognizability of an item
5) Practical Value - More useful information gets share more often
6) Storytelling - The broader narrative that surrounds this idea, topic or brand
Read the informative infographic below for more details on the six secrets:
So will you approach content differently?
Will this change the way you approach how you create content? Let us know in the comments!
Tom Treanor is the creator of the Blog Writing Workshop and Founder of Right Mix Marketing, which helps companies of all sizes succeed through the effective use of Content Marketing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Business Blogging and Social Media. Get news and updates from Tom on Twitter here!
Other Posts by Tom Treanor
Social Media Today