Say Sayonara to some Google Apps
Posted by Sharon Moore-Smith at July 3rd, 2012
And the Changes for Google Continue …
As we mentioned in an earlier blog, there are some new items coming to Google. And as we all know, out with the old and in with the new. Many of Google’s old products will be saying good-bye.
- Google Video will be merged with YouTube.
- While users have not been able to add videos to Google Video since 2009, all of the videos that are currently there will be moved over to YouTube. Users have until August 20 to move, download, or delete their content. If not, their content will be moved automatically.
- Google Mini will be discontinued
- Google states that while Google Mini was useful when it was first introduced in 2005, it has been replaced by apps like Google Search Appliances.
- Google Talk Chatback
- This app allowed websites to add ‘instant chat’ to their website. With the advancement of apps like ‘Meebo’, Google Talk is no longer as useful as it once was.
None of these apps will be missed as they have all already been replaced by faster and more efficient apps. This is good news for us since Google is cleaning up their site and making it work more efficiently for us. However, there is one change that intrigues me…
- iGoogle will be phased out
- iGoogle first launched in 2005. Since then, the internet and technologies have advanced far beyond what iGoogle can provide its customers. iGoogle will be officially retired on November 1, 2013.
What the future will bring us? What will replace iGoogle? Only time will tell. One thing is for certain, Google will make a big announcement around it.
About Sharon — Sharon Moore is the sales and marketing guru for Chatter Buzz Media, an Orlando, Florida digital marketing and advertising company. A self-proclaimed Disney geek, she hopes to work with the Walt Disney Company someday. Sharon can be reached via Google+ or on Chatter Buzz Mediawebsite page.
Shalyn Dever is the Founder of Chatter Buzz Media, a diverse, creative, and super social digital marketing and social media marketing agency located in Orlando, FL. They deliver "BUZZ" to companies who wants people to talk about them.
Delivering only the customers that matters to you the most through cost-effective, targetted, inbound, and permission based marketing. They love to collaborate ...
Other Posts by Shalyn Dever
Social Media Today